12 Best Sound Mixing Software for your Mac and Windows devices
As the name implies, audio mixing is the method of combining different sounds into one or more channels.
Software mixers allow generation of audio data and editing it. You can use these mixing sound software fully or partially as a library or computer application and web application.
You can use it for live audio recording and pre-recorded files as well. Some of the few specific functions for which they are mainly used include virtual audio mixing for live instruments or microphones and virtual instrument rack.
It can also be referred as the process of manipulating audio to alter its length, speed and other attributes.
This procedure modifies or improves the dynamics, volume level of the source, panoramic position, and frequency material. The aim of these artistic and innovative treatments is to produce audio that is pleasing to listeners.
How to choose the best software mixer?
Before beginning the audio mixing process, one must be able to make the decision which audio mixing software is best for them. This software mixer must be optimum in terms of resource availability and usability. Here are some things to think about when selecting audio mixing software:
- Check to see whether the application is free or not.
- Find out if the limited features provided by a trial/free version of the sound mixer software are sufficient to meet all of your requirements. Depending on the level of audio mixing quality you need, choose between the paid and free options.
- Look for a user interface that is easy to use.
- Look for a mixing sound software that is compatible with your current operating system.
- Check to see if there are any guides available for the audio mixer software. You could use it for better information.
- In the software mixer you want, look for simple or advanced functions support. This will depend on your usability.
- Check if you can get the app online or whether you have to install it.
Audacity is possibly the best free sound mix software out there. It has a simple easy to use interface that is good for both beginners and professionals.
- It supports multi-track editing and recording in many formats. It also supports various plug-ins for you to choose from. Gsnap lets you add auto tuning effects to your audio.
- It lets you write your own plug-in too. Its plug-in manager is capable of dealing with a wide range of plug-in installations.
- You can choose from a variety of audio sources like microphone, mixer, among others.
- It also has 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit support. This lets you generate high quality sound at all times.
- While editing, you can go back and forth through any number of actions. This is very convenient while comparing during editing and rectifying errors.
- Audacity is completely free and compatible with GNU/Linux, Windows, Mac.
- The interface looks primitive and unappealing.
- Nowadays, faster free digital mixer software are available.
Adobe Audition is one of the best sound mix software built for professionals. It draws strength from several years of Adobe experience.
- The program design is such that it speeds up audio and video production workflow.
- It offers various advanced features like multi-track editing, audio restoration, etc.
- You can also perfectly get rid of any awkward breaks in audio.
- You can incorporate music clips into it. This will make your audio sound much more professional.
- It offers you a bunch of royalty-free sound effects.
- It lets you export your work directly into other Adobe softwares for video editing.
- It offers discounts to students.
- The interface looks intimidating for beginners.
- It needs high memory and power.
Acoustica is premium audio mixer software. It has all the advanced features needed by professionals. The newest version requires subscription. However, you can use the older versions for free.
- The interface looks modern and professional.
- It offers an Effect Chain feature. This lets you layer various effects one on top of another. You can then add this blend on your audio clip.
- It is a good audio mixer for PC’s. It has an AI powered audio remix tool called Spleeter.
- You can also “unmix” a complicated mix of audio and segregate them into separate clips.
- It offers 7.1 surround sound and multi-track editing.
- It also erases noise and plosives automatically.
- You cannot access the latest version for free.
Wavosaur is the best mixer software if you are looking for something simple that is not large.
- It enables you to work on multiple files at once.
- The audio processing takes place in WAV or MP3 formats. This makes the entire process smooth and hassle free.
- It supports Virtual Studio Technology (VST) plug-in.
- In spite of having VST support, it does not come with any plug-ins of its own.
- It does not let you redo the changes that you have made.
Wondershare FilmoraPro offers free installation. It offers almost all the best premium software mixing features for free.
- It lets you add audio to videos.
- It compresses and synchronizes audio automatically.
- It has a huge library of royalty-free tracks.
· It is great for audio processing for video production. It is not quite efficient as an audio editor exclusively.
TwistedWave is a free audio mixing software that works on Mac. On other devices it operates as a web-based application.
· You can save your work to cloud or Google Drive.
· Uploading files is very easy.
· The free version permits you to edit audio up to 5 minutes only.
Reaper is the perfect DAW for users with little experience looking for advanced features. Naturally, it is one of the most amazing software mixers.
- You can export your audio work in MP3, WAV, AIFF.
- You can dub a video with Reaper.
- It lets you stretch audio around complicated adjustments.
- It offers you a bunch of plug-ins such as VST, DX, VST3 and other third part plug-ins.
- It allows multi-track processing alongside audio and MIDI routing.
- The application is very stable. It works well for large files too.
- It is quite expensive and there is no free version.
- The interface looks outdated and lacks fluidity.
MixPad has largely simplified audio mixing and editing. The program’s user interface is simple and elegant.
- It enables multitrack editing with unlimited number of clips simultaneously.
- It supports almost all audio formats.
- It offers ASIO support. This enables editing with precision.
- It offers a bunch of other editing effects too.
- The highest sample rate here is 96 kHz. Most other software mixers offer higher sample rates.
- You can only export audio files below 32 bits.
Bear Audio Tool
Bear Audio Tool is a web based application that can process audio tracks from your local storage. It is a perfect alternative to any sound mixing software. You can use it online for free.
- It maintains privacy. You do not have to upload your files to their servers.
- It has its own music library. The tracks are all copyright free.
- You can also apply effects to your audio files.
- You can import files from your local storage. You can also import by pasting an URL.
- It supports many audio formats such as MP3, OGG, WAV, etc.
- You can run it on any operating system.
- It does not offer the advanced features that most software mixers offer.
FL Studio is a popular sound mixing workstation good for professionals.
- It offers a touch controlled interface.
- It lets you overlay any data type.
- It offers you a bunch of live DJ controls.
- It has piano roll. This lets you play samples is various notes instantly.
- It has VST plug-in support. This gives you access to the most extensive collection of third party plug-ins.
- As premium software, it is quite slow compared to other digital mixer software.
- The plug-in management can be quite confusing.
- It does not offer audio quantization, unlike its other premium competitors.
Ocenaudio is a new and more advanced free mixer software. Its tools and features closely resemble that of Audacity. However, it is also much faster and lighter compared to Audacity.
- The interface is simple and handy. It offers a range of keyboard shortcuts too.
- Unlike most free software mixers, it does not add the effects straight to the original audio. This enables you to adjust the different settings and listen to the changes right away.
- It also offers a range of filters that you can apply to your audio.
- It has Virtual Studio Technology plug-in support. Hence, you can use your own plug-ins too.
- It is faster than Audacity. It is also not as heavy as it.
- It works on several platforms like Linux, Windows and Mac.
- It does not support multi-track editing. It supports single stereo/mono files only.
Logic Pro X
Logic Pro X is a sound mixer software perfect for both experienced users and beginners. It includes both basic and premium features under one roof. Some of them are Flex Time, Flex Pitch, arpeggiator etc.
- It lets you clip out mistakes in your sound tracks.
- It offers you mixing levels of different sound channels.
- It is stable and reliable. It is good for beginners.
- The user interface is stable and simple.
- It offers a MIDI sequencer.
- It has a large library of free instrumental tracks and loops.
- It supports a bunch of audio formats like MP3, WAV, AAC, etc.
- It offers great technical support and professionalism.
- It is compatible with the Mac environment only.
- It is quite expensive. Additionally, no free trial is available.
All the apps in this list stand out with their unique characteristics and features. We hope that with this article, you now have a good idea about how to choose the best for you. It is entirely based on the aspects and features that you desire. Do remember to look for all the features and specifications. And then compare them, before you get the best fit for yourself. No matter which sound editor you settle for, we hope this article has helped you in making the right decision. Happy mixing!